Approximately 25% of the properties in England and Wales remains unregistered at the Land Registry. It is now compulsory to register your property when the property is being transferred or mortgaged. You can also apply for voluntary first registration at a discounted land registry rate whenever you wish.
Our team are fully experienced in first registrations and the complexities which can arise in each title including:
- voluntary applications
- compulsory applications
- examination of title deeds
- preparing the DL
- preparing the FR1
- preparing any relevant statutory declarations
- dealing with lost or damaged original title deeds
- dealing with adverse possession claims
- cautions against first registrations
- overriding interests
Whilst you may hold your original deeds to prove your ownership, you always run the risk of these being destroyed or lost. Applying to register your property at the Land Registry will ensure that your ownership and rights are formally and securely recorded.